Thought you would like to be aware of the laws for Fireworks use in Marion County. This has been put out by the Indianapolis Fire Department with the Police Department to help people know when fireworks can be used as well as to offer safety tips. Hope you have a safe Holiday Weekend.
City-County Councillor District 6
Indianapolis Fire Department & Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department urge safety when using Fireworks
As the 4th of July draws closer, many residents are making plans to use fireworks during the upcoming holiday period. The Indianapolis Fire Department and Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department encourage residents to be respectful of their neighbors and use sound judgment as part of their holiday celebrations, with 4th of July celebrations conducted legally, safely and respectfully. Residents should check their community specified hours as to when fireworks are permissible – and know these can differ from state guidelines.
In Marion County – Fireworks use on and around 4th of July are as follows:
5p.m. until two hours after sunset June 28 through July 3.
10 a.m. to midnight on July 4.
5p.m. until two hours after sunset July 5 through July 9.
Fireworks can be purchased only by persons 18 years of age or older.
If you aren’t lighting on your property, make sure you have permission from the person who lives there.
- Never allow children to play with or ignite fireworks.
- use fireworks outdoors only.
- Always keep a bucket of water or a working water hose nearby.
- Only use fireworks as intended. Don’t try to alter them or combine them.
- Never relight a “dud” firework. Wait 20 minutes and then soak it in a bucket of water.
- Use common sense. Spectators should keep a safe distance from the shooter and the shooter should wear safety glasses.
- Alcohol and fireworks do not mix. Have a “designated adult shooter.”
- Do not use homemade fireworks or illegal explosives — they can kill you!
- Read and follow all instructions on the label.
- Be cautious of lighting any fireworks during strong wind conditions
- Never aim, point, or throw fireworks at another person.
- Obey local laws.
Rita L Reith
Battalion Chief – Media Relations
Indianapolis Fire Department
955 Ft. Wayne Ave
Indianapolis, IN 46202
Cell – 317-716-6272
Desk – 317-327-6086